[AT] OT - But made me giggle

Mattias Kessén davidbrown950 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 23:38:25 PDT 2013

Sorry for the OT post but this made me giggle in the morning and is
absolutely not political though it contains politicians.

Since POTUS is coming here media is all excited about it. I happened to
read this story http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article17366478.ab an
interview with the former Swedish air force pilot Pär Alnerud. He once and
only once has rejected another airplane from Swedish territory. It was in
1975 when he was on duty (at this time we had planes ready to start in less
than 5 minutes att various airbases) in Kalmar. The alarm went off, there
was a plane to reject so he went with his route. Got to the plane with the
text "United States of America" on the sides, he didn't think much about
since the order was simple, reject. Positioned him self on the side and
dipped the wing to show it to turn away. He had to repeat the procedure
three times before it turned. Went back to later learn that the only plane
he ever rejected was Air Force One with president Ford and foreign affairs
minister Kissinger! The Swedish Air Force Chief was later called to the US
embassy were they protested that the swedish air force plane flew to close,
and that was all.
Ford and Kissinger had been in Helsinki and been delayed so someone decided
to make a shortcut over Sweden but as we say in Sweden "Shortcuts are often
late ways"

:-)

Mattias

www.rodjagard.n.nu