[AT] OT New Holland electric fuel pump

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Aug 24 21:28:11 PDT 2013

I don't know if any of you guys have had the dubious honor of owning a
late model New Holland tractor, but I have one for my main tractor.  it
is a TS110, really a turbo added to a 7610 2WD ford. It has the 16x16
trans with the shuttle shift.  It is a great tractor for round baling.
The problem I have is the lift pump.  It is a package deal made for
boats, it has the pump mounted on top of the filter housing.  The pump
and filter housing sits high on the engine behind the inj pump and sucks
fuel through another Sediment bowl used as the primary filter.  I am
having trouble with air entering the fuel system.  It appears to be
coming from the sediment bowl.  This bowl is the one that fits the old
3166 wix fuel filters, only they cut the filter housing by half and
installed a plastic cone to cause the fuel to flow over it and the water
and trash to drop out!  (Yeah Right)  I could loosen the center bolt in
the housing of the primary and get the pump to pick up fuel, then it
would start sucking air after a few seconds.  I have replaced all
gaskets and even got a longer bolt and tried a wix 3166  filter in place
of the aluminum shell in the original setup.  I smeared silicone sealant
all around the outside of the gasket mating surfaces when i got the
tractor running in hopes that it would seal any air leaks that way.  All
surfaces were smooth and should seal...I installed a new pump, a $125
lower cost alternative one than the NH original one at $368.   This is
the second lift pump in 300 hrs...  My last resort is to eliminate the
sediment bowl and see if there is any air leaking into the system.  I
have  a  NAPA filter base with a spin on 15 micron filter that I think I
can get to fit in this crowded space under the hood and with a loader
mounted on the tractor also.  If this will not solve the problem, there
is a place on the plastic fuel tank where I can weld on a mounting boss
for a drop in fuel pump and charge the lift pump.  This has to be one of
the dumbest designs I have seen since the auxiliary fuel tank on my
White 2-105 that worked on a siphon system with a non vented fuel tank
cap to make it work.  Any little problem with the gasket on the main
upper fuel tank, and you lose a tank of fuel over night ( 30 gallons,
main tank was only 18!! )

Forget about asking the dealer, they haven't got a clue.  However, they
carry 5 of these pumps in stock, and 2 of the alternative ones.....  I
would think that this shows that this thing fails often...

Any suggestions other than mortgaging the farm to buy a new tractor??
This cannot go on forever, as this air entrained fuel is not healthy for
my injection pump Which is only 302 hours old!!

Cecil in OKla