[AT] OT--Kawasaki starter trouble

Will Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 7 04:27:20 PDT 2013

Wow, you have so many things going on...

I agree with Charlie, check your battery.

I have many motorcycles that have similar small starters. I usually jump them with a car battery when I want to prove that I don't have a low amperage issue. Of course I never crank the starter very long because I know prolonged turning will burn it up.

Here's a posting from one Kawasaki forum:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-atv-mule/96230-mule-2510-starter-issue.html

There's no isolated incidence. If your starter is failing there are probably other Kawasaki owners with the same problems.

Here's another quote from that forum:

My 1999 Mule 2510 will also turn slowly when first hitting the starter; I thought I had it figured out when I replaced the battery and it seemed good for a while. Then it was back to either slow turning or not able to turn at all. A starter rebuild and cable cleaning did not make any difference.

An overnight battery charge and viola!--rapid starting. What I've read in this forum about poor alternator performance seems to be my problem. If I start and stop a lot, without a lot of running time, it will significantly draw down the battery. I've considered adding an auxiliary alternator to my Mule, but would likely do my own setup considering the Kawasaki alternator setup costs almost $1000.

This is the entire thread, they seem to have resolved a lot of your issues:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-atv-mule/55011-mule-2510-starting-problems.html

Good luck.

Will