[AT] JD B Problems - An Update

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Aug 6 16:59:53 PDT 2013

Ralph,

The impact wrench is a good idea if the puller is strong enough. Some of the import stuff
won't handle that much torque/tension.  I have learned to grab the really old pullers at
swap meets that were made with better quality materials. In my limited experience it seems
to take a combination of a very tight puller and heat plus a little luck to get some of
these drive disks off.  The clutch can get pretty hot over its 50 year plus usage and then
the heating and cooling with possible storage outside in the elements can create a really
stuck assembly.  Patience is needed.  A bigger hammer may cause more problems than
solutions.  The worst one I've had took over a week of constant tension and daily heating
and cooling with an Acetylene Torch.  When it finally popped it sounded like a rifle shot.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll never need one
again.