[AT] John Deere 420

Paul Waugh paul at plwaugh.com
Sat Aug 3 13:09:56 PDT 2013

My project for the last 2 weeks has been repainting and repair some items on
my 420. It is a 'green' 420 because of being in the first 1500 built in
1956.  I painted this tractor over 20 yrs. Ago, and it was getting rough
again. Trying to do a better job, not taking out small dents, but am
replacing brakes, and adding an alternator. It has never had a way to charge
the battery and hence no lights which worked.  I have that going and am
putting a new wire harness in, along with temp and amp gauge, those holes
have always been empty.

One thing of interest is that no primer showed on the tractor frame or
engine and components. Some places never have had paint. They put it
together then painted, ex: floor broads brackets have never had paint
between them and the frame.  However the headlights had heavy primer.

I had kind of hoped to have it ready for Portland, but I don't seem to be
able to cover as much ground in a day as I used to 5-6 yrs. Ago.

Back at it.  3 inch of rain  yesterday in about 6 hrs.

Paul - NE IN