[AT] JD B Problems

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Aug 1 18:52:10 PDT 2013

Charlie,

I've heard of that trick before. I've never tried it. I guess at my current old age I
forget about that trick when I really need it.   Here in NW WA we get so much rust due to
our wet weather that everything is rusted tight.   There are many fasteners and assemblies
that I would have never gotten apart without the gas axe technique.  I have never truly
experienced anything coming apart just solely with the use of any type of penetrating oil
of any type and I've tried a bunch.  Heat is the only solution that has worked for me and
sometimes that doesn't even work.  I recently had a sleeve over a JD three point hitch
lift link shaft that absolutely refused to be removed. In this case I even got it to move
a bit but no matter how much heat or how big a hammer I used it just was not going to
cooperate.  I finally cut the #@$%^& thing off with a right angle disk grinder.
Fortunately the replacement sleeve is made in reproduction form so it isn't a
significantly costly item.  But with some confidence I can say that MOST of the time heat
will solve the problem.

However, it takes a lot of heat and I mean a LOT of heat on the JD Drive disk because
there is so much metal mass in the drive disk by itself and that is attached to another
big heat sink called a huge crankshaft.  I'm 99.8% sure the splines are tapered on the
crankshaft and the mating drive disk so once it moves at all it should be loose unless
there is something else really wrong. If I had to guess right now I suspect the disk
hasn't really moved yet on the crankshaft.  If a drive disk ever gets loose on the shaft
it can create quite a bit of havoc on the splines.  The uneven firing sequence on a JD Two
Cylinder engine is pretty violent.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is how much a new reproduction drive disk is going to cost.
$$$$ But used parts for a 47 JD B are pretty available. In fact I might even have a used
one out in the barn. I don't recall for sure right now.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll never need one
again.