[AT] Tool box hinges

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Mon Apr 22 11:08:23 PDT 2013

I rebuilt the hinges on the power tailgates on several Snap-On Tools trucks
the same way you describe, Dennis.  The originals would rust solid in only a
couple years.  Going from memory I think I used 1" pipe for the outer parts
and a shaft of 1/2" pipe inside that for the pivot.  I also put grease
fittings in the moving sleeves so they could get greased.  The one I
followed for while went through a couple other dealers through about a 10
year timeframe and never bothered again.  This was mid-1980s and I was
getting $125 to do one.  The last one I did I bartered for one of the really
nice booster cable set with the front mounted plug and 25' leads of #4
cable.  Still have those and they still work great.  They were also about
$150 list so I made out pretty good for $20 in material and 3-4 hours labor.