[AT] potato planting

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Wed Apr 17 18:12:39 PDT 2013

Ralph,
      The grubs eat into the tubers.  In some years, late in the season
they can do considerable damage.  I think it hurts the storability of
the potato.  Not a big problem the last couple years because of my
reduced yields.  Nothing left for long term storage.
     I suppose the grubs come out of my lawn area toward the end of the
growing season and go to the garden area where things have been kept
watered.  I do not water the lawn.  That just causes increased labor and
expense.  I have not had a Colorado problem, however, I do spray
insecticide along with my fungicide, usually for leafhoppers. This year
I am thinking of a soil insecticide to work on the grub problem.
Especially if I get some new ground plowed up that was previously in grass.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA