[Farmall] Farmall H Vertical Distributor Problems/Parts

Jerry Bossard jerry.bossard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 17:16:25 PDT 2013

Hello Fellow Farmall-ians! :-)

I have a question about the Delco - Remy Vertical Distributor on my 1942 H.
 Recently the distributor started making a minor grinding noise and now the
tractor will not stay running and back fires.  I've replaced the
distributor condenser, points (tune-up kit), plugs, wires and the coil
about a 1 1/2 years ago and I don't expect those to be a problem so I
that's why I pulled the distributor off to inspect the gears.

If someone could tell me the what the part is called (distributor drive
unit??) that contains the worm gear in which the distributor shaft gear
meets.  The worm gear in the unknown part is very worn and needs replaced.
 The gear on the distributor shaft is very worn as well which I would like
to replace.  The teeth on the gears are not chipped or missing, but the
teeth are worn down and very thin that maybe the gears are skipping over
each other.

So... with all that background, can someone tell me where or what the
replacement gears are for the distributor and the worm gear (drive unit) as
this configuration was not as common for the Farmall H?

Thanks,

Jerry