[AT] potato planting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Apr 17 07:36:21 PDT 2013

On 4/16/2013 4:37 AM, charlie hill wrote:
> We always planted potatoes on top of the row with the
> top of it knocked down but we planted them on 48" rows (middle to middle)
> so that gave us plenty of ability to bed them up plus we were working in
> sandy loam that was good and loose.
>
> Charlie

I wonder if I am the only one using the old "shovel method" of planting
potatos? I set up a line of baler twine and two sticks as a guide. Walk
along with a bucket of seed and shovel. Stick shovel in ground and open
the soil just enough to drop in the seed. Remove shovel, pack with size
13 boot and move one step further and repeat.
I admit it is a little labour intensive but I don't plant the whole
patch in one day. I like the staggered planting method. Usually try to
get a row in by the first of May although it won't happen this year.
Then plant another row or two a week later . Sometimes finishing up the
end of May.  Very often the later seeded ones turn out better but at
least I have a few early ones to eat in August. Plus, if the early
plants get frozen by a late frost I still have time to replant.
Planting is no big deal but I find hilling by hand is a workout. By day
its the heat. In the cool of the evening its the mosquitos.
Oh well, right now that all looks pretty good compared to looking out
the window at our snowbanks that refuse to melt.

Ralph in Sask.