[Farmall] drawbar bolts

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 14 11:20:53 PDT 2013

There were quite a few of the 154's sold around here but by the time the
184's came out, they had lost their popularity. The vast majority here were
sold for mowing, a handful were equipped with 3pt hitch. I've ran several
Cubs, Lo-boys, and 154's all equipped with 5ft 3 blade mowers. My mowing was
always to check one out to make sure whatever needed fixing was repaired.
The later 154's seemed to me to have more power than a regular Cub. I don't
know if the engines had been speeded up or if it was a gearing/pulley
arrangement, tire dia., or just my imagination. I'm not a big fan of having
to mow with any of them as they are just too slow. Would much rather have a
belly mower under a Super A.  Now the belly mount sickle mower on a Cub is a
different story, wonderful tool for maintaining around the farm!

We haven't worked on a 154 in a few years. The last one was a pretty nice
machine, but the owner wouldn't fix the PTO, there were two kits or
something we needed and the parts were going to be close to $500.

Close to 20 years ago I remember helping to change the driveshaft to the
transmission in, it seems they kind of copied the Cub Cadet setup? Anyway,
the shaft cost a fortune, even back then.

Isn't there a potential problem with the frame breaking at the transmission?

I wouldn't mind having one of the last 18x series that was painted red. They
just looked cool!

John Hall