[Farmall] drawbar bolts

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Sun Apr 14 11:44:28 PDT 2013

John, the engine serial is on a flat boss just above the oil filler, and
the casting date code is just below the carb. if I remember correctly.
the crack at that ear seems to have been a design flaw in the block,
that was improved with the later revisions.  I am currently working on
one that belongs to our local Lions club that they use to maintain part
of their grounds.  it had the ear completely broken off.  they did not
want to replace the engine, so I had the ear welded at a machine shop
then got as a set of the braces you are referring to.  They appear to do
a good job of relieving the stress on that ear.   this one I think may
have been rolled, plus with different people driving it at times, it did
not have the most caring operators
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/FarmallCub%202012/Lions%20cub%202.jpg
   There are a couple versions of the front braces out there, here is
one of them that I got for the Lions club cub since they did not want to
replace the engine.
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Farmallcub%202010/engine%20brace%20right.jpg
There is a similar one on the left side.
I don't think jamming a loader into a pile of snow, etc. is that hard on
the front end, since the way both the Ih and Wagner loader mount
transfers the horizontal shock to the rear part of the tractor.  Having
the loader raised and running over something or getting a wheel in a
hole is another story though.  I do have a Wagner WM1 pipe loader on one
of my cubs which is very ahndy since I cannot lift things anymore.  I am
very careful with it, and have put a set of the braces on the engine,
and also have added a brace to the front spindles.
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Farmallcub%202011/axle%20brace%201.jpg
and intend to add a set of gussets as soon as the shop gets them cut for me.

I am not crazy about the graphite block throwout bearing, but my
original lasted 45 years, so I guess that is not too bad.  Trick to
keeping them going is to make sure they get greased, if you buy
aftermarket ones soak them in oil a few days before installing (IH ones
are already soaked), and keep the pressure plate fingers adjusted
evenly, not to mention not riding the clutch.  VW, and a few other
manufacuteres used the same setup.  didn't the B, and A also have the
same thing, maybe the Super A also?