[Farmall] drawbar bolts--Cubs

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 13 19:57:40 PDT 2013

Al, the one piece hood and gas tank has always been something I disliked.
However, the decision to use flat head screws to hold it on was just plain
stupid. I'm glad IH fired the guy that came up with that idea, unfortunately
he worked for 30 years after that convincing John Deere to use them! The
worst are the 4 that hold the hood extensions to the radiator tank/front
end. Rare do I work on a Cub that has all 4 screws that will actually come
out or have not already been broken off.

There are a couple things IH got too wimpy with that caused a lot of
trouble. The front spindles are too weak and like to break at the
axle--wished I would have kept a count on how many Cubs I have seen with at
least one spindle that was re-welded. Also, the engine block is too weak at
the front causing them to break, never heard of it happening on the bigger
ones.

One thing that never made sense to me was why the Cub got it's own magneto
instead of sharing the same one with the rest of the tractors. It's just as
good as the others, but why not keep it the same?

Something else I have never figured out, why did it use an IH carb instead
of subbing it out to outside manufacturers?  Then again, the real question
should be why didn't IH build the carb for the others.? Most folks didn't
realize you had to have the make and model of the carb to get a kit. I
remember there was something like 5 different possible carbs on the bigger
tractors--1 Carter, and I think 2 each Zenith and Marvel. It was always bad
news to have to tell a customer you probably had a kit but he needed to go
back home and see what carb he had.

Don't get me wrong folks, Cubs are wonderful little tractors. But for me,
you have to hate their shortcomings before you love their potential.

John Hall