[Farmall] drawbar bolts

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 13 19:32:33 PDT 2013

I agree somewhat about the Cub being a cheaper tractor so to appeal to
hold-outs or just simply more affordable to those who simply couldn't afford
the full size "offset" series. One of the biggest features IH did to cut
costs on these was the single rockshaft hydraulic. There was a big tradeoff
there in lack of being able to fine adjust your cultivators, but considering
the hydraulic reservoir has some of the most precise machining, a big price
savings was the benefit.
Another thing you see on Cubs are the stamped foot pedals as opposed to the
larger cast ones with the diamond tread so your foot doesn't slip. I imagine
Cub users are less apt to be working in muddy conditions (My thinking may be
biased here due to years of using a Super A to tow an irrigation pipe
trailer, we were wading through the  mud 90% of the time).

One great feature a Cub has is something that should have been incorporated
into the H and M series. When have you ever seen the seat spring on a Cub
broke? That ridiculous tapered coil spring on the big tractors was a joke
from day one. IH could certainly have done a better job. I've got to order
one Monday for a fellow that almost fell off his H last year. The spring on
it now is distorted badly.

John Hall