[AT] list and a Ramble about the change of farming and tractors.

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:27:42 PDT 2013

When I was a kid the one job my dad would never let me do was bed up his
tobacco rows.
He wanted them to be straight and he didn't trust anyone else to do it.
Jump forward a half
century.  I know a lady who at the age of about 45 married a farmer who
tends about 3000 acres.
Up until she married him she had never driven anything larger or more
complicated than a mini-van
and she wasn't particularly talented at that.  Within a year of their being
married she was bedding up
cotton rows with a 12 row (I think it's 12, maybe more) bedder.  The reason
she can do that is GPS.
Every one of his fields are mapped on GPS.   All she has to do is drive the
tractor to the field and get it
near a corner, hit the button and the massive JD and GPS do the rest.  It
will run rows half a mile long and
not be off more than an inch or so (maybe less) from one end to the other.
When the tractor nears the end
of the row an alarm goes off.  She takes over the controls and turns it
around, and gets it close to lined up.
She hits the GPS button again and it goes to the other end while she reads
her book or talks on the phone.
It's not old school farming but it surely is efficient.

Charlie