[AT] list and a Ramble about the change of farming and tractors.

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Apr 4 07:30:54 PDT 2013

Charlie:
If the original poster would let us know what the solution was, then we
could put that into the "virtual" knowledge base.  I wonder what is
going to happen to this list, as there are not many new guys coming on.
I look at the TractorBynet forum once in a while, and there is so many
mistakes being made that I have already experienced.  If I do post to
it, I wonder if I come off as a know it all.   That forum also seems
like it has a lot of guys with late model tractors.  Ones that I could
pick up and stack on top of the hay with my loaders......!!  I just have
not accepted these small tractors yet.   My Dad used to say that they
were good for running around under the house looking for eggs..!!!   Dad
spent a lot of time in the Arkansas Bottoms as a child.  I have used
that expression and got some really weird looks!!

Back in the 70's when everything was going big big HP, and dealers were
limit ed on the number of units (rationed) they could get in a year, the
"experts" said this would create a shortage of tractors in the 20 to 60
hp range.   Boy did they hit that nail on the Head!!  The other thing
that no one envisioned, was these new operators are used to cabs and air
conditioning.   I recently sold a 4010 JD on LPgas, a great utility
tractor.  for $3000.  I spent a fortune on advertising trying to sell
it, and finally went to auction.  I could not make these new guys
understand how to fill an LP tractor.   One of the problems, while they
liked the idea of only spending $2.00 / gallon for fuel, they did not
want to invest $400 in a tank and then come up with another $400 to fill
it. They could just go by the local C-store and get 10 gallons of
Diesel.   The other was the lack of a cab.  I overheard a lady in her
50's ???  talk about mowing with a bush hog for 10 hours and coming in
covered in dirt and itching for days when you hit a bunch of sticker
weeds.   Here in OK with our 20mph minimum wind, a cab is now standard
equipment.   I guess our old antique tractors of the 60's have really
become antique!!!   I remember when A-C came out with the D21, I wanted
to get into Farming...!! Now, a large tractor like that is not necessary
since everything is going to No-till here.....

I am rambling here while my coffee is getting cold....  I gotta quit
sitting up watching those old movies.  Black & White seems normal to me!!!!

Cecil in OKla