[AT] Waay OT

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Sep 13 12:25:45 PDT 2012

charlie hill wrote:
> Ron take the VIN # to a GM dealer and they can cut you a key.    I've got a
> 2006 GMC pickup.  It has options for how and when you want the doors to
> lock.  I've never noticed one for "after engine shut down" or "after doors
> close"  but it's possible.    Mine has options for lock when vehicle is put
> into gear or lock at 5 mph.  There may be others and yours may have options
> mine doesn't.   You should either have buttons on the steering wheel or the
> radio that control those options.  Read the owners manual, it might help, if
> not just start looking around in the settings.
>
> Charlie

Never heard of a factory system that locks after a set time.

GM normal electric lock options are (somewhat model dependent)

No action taken
Lock at 5 -15 mph - unlock drivers door when put in park
Lock at 5 -15 mph - unlock all doors when put in park
Lock at 5 -15 mph - unlock none when put in park
Lock when started (newer than 07)
Lock when put in gear - unlock drivers door when placed in park
Lock when put in gear - unlock all doors in park
Lock when put in gear - unlock none

The auto lock items were introduced for two reasons, one the locked
doors prevent some car jacking because the thieves can't just yank the
door open. Two in a crash the locked doors usually don't pop open from
impacts.

All of the above items can be altered by the cars owner. Usually the
procedure isn't very hard. It can also be changed using a good scan
tool, but that usually costs money.

--
Steve W.