[AT] Off Topic, Logging property

John Maddock agtronixjv at southcom.com.au
Sun Sep 9 01:20:54 PDT 2012

Will

Do some research by Googling either Pro Silva or Restoration Forestry.

Pro Silva is a system of forest management developing in Europe (and now
being looked at in Australia) which is based on active intervention by the
forest manager to improve the quality of the existing stand of trees.  For
example, removing trees which are not going to grow into good quality logs
(for whatever reason) thinning out weak trees or trees too close together,
the aim always being to let quality trees mature by removing some of the
competition.

Removing dead wood for firewood may be an option, bearing in mind the need
to maintain a complete ecosystem which includes dead wood to feed bugs,
fungi etc.

Many factors to be managed, but worth exploring - and much better than
clearcutting or felling trees at random just for firewood - which
presumably will be a low profit use compared to managing for good quality
saw logs.

JV
> Hello,
>
> About 5 years ago against many wise recommendations on this list I entered
> into a land trust with my father, two sisters, and brother. 114 Acres in
> Upstate NY.  We bought my aunt out of her half the property. The land was
> in
> the Family since the 1800's.
>
> Before we bought the land the property was logged. And, about 10 years
> before that it was logged. So, pretty much everything worth anything was
> cut
> down and removed. The road was a mess for years.
>
> My sister now wants to log the property again, she has a logger that will
> pull fire wood out. It's only been about six years. I'm not for it. I've
> done a little reading and I feel we should let the trees mature for at
> least
> 15 years. She's says she needs the money and that a forester said we
> should
> clear out the bad wood based on what the other loggers had done.
>

> Anyway, if we agree to log it are we ruining our long term investment? I
> would rather wait another 10 years if we will get full potential from the
> property.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Read tasmaniantimes.com... for news and views you won't find in the
newspapers