[AT] Off Topic, Logging property

William Powell william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Sat Sep 8 16:38:36 PDT 2012

Hello,

About 5 years ago against many wise recommendations on this list I entered
into a land trust with my father, two sisters, and brother. 114 Acres in
Upstate NY.  We bought my aunt out of her half the property. The land was in
the Family since the 1800's.

Before we bought the land the property was logged. And, about 10 years
before that it was logged. So, pretty much everything worth anything was cut
down and removed. The road was a mess for years.

My sister now wants to log the property again, she has a logger that will
pull fire wood out. It's only been about six years. I'm not for it. I've
done a little reading and I feel we should let the trees mature for at least
15 years. She's says she needs the money and that a forester said we should
clear out the bad wood based on what the other loggers had done.

Anyway, if we agree to log it are we ruining our long term investment? I
would rather wait another 10 years if we will get full potential from the
property.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Will