[AT] OT Daikon or Tillage Radish

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:09:37 PDT 2012

Cecil part of our farm is a sand hill.  Back when I was a kid a guy in town
was in the chicken business and he offered to haul the chicken manure he had
to dispose of to our sand hill.  He and
my dad figured it would help the land.  Well when they hauled it they didn't
spread it as my dad thought they would.  Instead they dumped it in dump
truck load size piles scattered all over.
We had no way to spread it so it sat there in mounds for years as we slowly
tried to work it down.  The only thing it helped grow was common bermuda
grass which spread like wild fire
and our little tractor couldn't manage it.  Back then there was nothing (we
knew of) to spray it with.  That stuff nearly ruined that part of the farm.

Finally after my dad had died I started leasing the place to farmers with
bigger tractors and they were able to at least get it knocked down flat and
get the grass spread around some.  The only
thing that ever got the farm cleaned up was when, in the early 80's and
after 25 years,  I leased the place to a cotton farmer.  If you ever want
weeds and grass cleaned up on your farm put it in
cotton!  That boy got killed in a wreck and only farmed the place about 4
years but by the time he was gone (literally) there wasn't a weed or blade
of grass of any kind in any field on the place.
I hope you get along better with chicken litter than we did.  Of course for
pasture it's fine because it just adds more grass!

Thanks for mentioning those radishes.  I have the info bookmarked in my
computer and logged in my brain.  It might come in handy some day.

Charlie