[AT] OT - computer problem

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 21 10:21:47 PDT 2012

Good point Mike.

The first computer I ever had, back in the early 80's at work, failed from a
bad video board.   It was relatively new.    I called the manufacturer.
He told me to turn if off, turn it back on and listen for the beeps it made
and describe to him how they sounded.  I did and he said "your video board
has failed.  I'll send you one".   I never knew if that "beep code was a
function of that version of Windows (probably 3.1) or if it was specific to
that
brand of computer (I don't remember what brand it was now) or if just how it
worked but he sent me the board with instructions on how to replace
it and that solved the problem.  I can still remember being very nervous
going inside that computer having never seen the inside of one before and
having been cautioned about the effects of static electricity.  It all
worked out just fine.

Charlie