[AT] My Stupid JD A again

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Oct 6 05:01:22 PDT 2012

John,  if I were messing with it, I think I'd run a compression test and see
how the two cylinders
compare.  A leaking valve will  usually show up in lower compression on that
cyl.   Also,  the hose
from a compression tester gauge can be re-configured (by removing the check
valves) and attached
to an air hose.  If you put the cly up on top dead center so that both
valves are closed and pump
some compressed air into the cyl.  you can usually hear a leaking valve.  If
you hear it in the exhaust
it's an exhaust valve (usually the case).  If you hear it in the intake/carb
it's an intake valve.

Charlie