[AT] OT - computer problem

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Oct 21 17:18:33 PDT 2012

On 10/21/2012 5:46 PM, Larry Goss wrote:
> Do you have a mixture of OS on your local network?  This does not explain your system's failure to boot, but my local system worked very well until it sensed that the majority of my computers and peripherals were running on Windows 7.  At that point, those systems took over and kicked all my Windows XP items off the network. I ended up having to upgrade all the systems that I could.  Some were so old that the manufacturers did not have upgrades, and I had to buy new hardware.  HP is particularly noted for doing this.
Larry,

Ouch!  That bit about HP touched a nerve here.   Am sure weary of paying
the nuisance and viewing time tax to use my printer.  Just checked and
there are five HP programs running now despite my seldom using the
printer and always being careful to select the least annoying options
when installing ANYTHING from them. Seems like there are more HP
messages related to printer health than from my security and other
system updates combined.  Yes, I know that if I spend enough time
researching and fiddling, I might reduce this a little.  But I have
learned.  My future equipment purchases will be based way more on a
rating of user (ie, paying customer) freedom from vendor annoyance.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas