[AT] My Stupid JD A again

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 5 15:37:30 PDT 2012

The uneven sound may indicate a stuck valve. Even if it is, that doesn't
explain both plugs being fouled. I remember a thread about a Deere manifold,
but not the details. Assuming the manifold has nothing to do with this, is
your carb running too rich or air filter plugged up? Is the mag hot enough?
I went to get a friends Deere running one time and he had automotive style
wires on it, something I've never been a fan of on old tractors. Make sure
your wires are in good shape along with your distributor cap and spark
plugs. If you want to test the magneto, see if you can jump a 1/4" spark--if
not, the mag is not hot enough. As for cleaning the soot out of the inside
of the engine, get it running on two cylinders and then put it under a load
for quite a while. You would be surprised how much carbon would be blown out
of the engine after 10-15 minutes of field work.

John Hall