[AT] OT Hello

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Nov 27 13:56:43 PST 2012

I finally got the replacement regulator for my Case 430CK. The guy at
the auto electric shop said the my new (rebuilt) generator is working
fine, but the voltage regulator that I had bought several years ago was
the wrong one. I finally looked in the parts manual for the tractor and
did a search for the Prestolite number. It turned out that Case used a
regulator that was only also used on the 1961 Studebaker and 1961
Rambler. That didn't surprise me - the distributor is the same one from
a Jeep of the same period. I found a NOS regulator at an eBay store in
WI for a reasonable price, and it arrived yesterday afternoon.
Unfortunately, it is snowing here in NJ, so the installation will have
to wait until a nice day. I would have converted the tractor over to an
alternator, but then I would lose the tach drive off the back.

I like the Case, and it is a hard worker, when it works, but finding
parts has been considerably more difficult (and more expensive) than
finding parts for my Ford and IH tractors. The other problem with
installing the voltage regulator is that Case located it on the other
side of the instrument panel, and the loader frame and hydraulic hoses
make it VERY difficult to get back in there. I definitely don't want to
be installing it with wet snow dripping down my neck - that kind of
thing stopped being fun for me about 50 years ago.

Mike