[AT] OT - How a steam locomotive gets built in 1935

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Nov 18 15:57:53 PST 2012

I grew up on a construction site with a bunch of ex WWII seabees.  They
had enough sense that when something slid off a roof they ducked for
cover.  If something fell, no one stood under it, they got out of the
way.  If there was anything being lifted, everyone watched out to see
that none of the guys helping guide got any part under the piece being
lifted.  They watched out for each other and themselves.  I was not old
enough to go to school, but was allowed to be the "gopher".  They were
rough guys, but no one ever got hurt, I never did either.  If you did
get cut or whatever, you patched yourself up and went back to work and
if the boss asked what happened, you "cut yourself shaving"!!    It was
shameful to collect workman's comp or welfare.

Those were the good old days!!!

Cecil in OKla