[AT] OT - How a steam locomotive gets built in 1935

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 17 15:31:59 PST 2012

ROTFLMAO!   I know that, Dave.  It just struck me as dating the film more than the processes that are being demonstrated.  I was in the last class to go through all those shop courses at Purdue back in the 50's.  The narrator used some terms that most viewers today would not recognize as having specific meaning -- core, jig, ram, cope, flask....  In the 30's we still had the common practice of stacking raw material and cutting a number of parts all at once.  One of the few places that is still practiced is in the clothing industry.  Tell me -- when was the last time you saw a shaper in operation for a mass-produced item?  Hot-heading of rivets was also "de rigor" on pressure vessels and structural steel at that time, but it was phased out around the end of WWII.  I like the live counter-weights that they used in the foundry when transferring items to the oven during forging.

Larry