[AT] OT '68 Dodge truck brake problem

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed Nov 7 22:48:29 PST 2012

Richard Walker wrote:
> I'm posting this for a friend who has been having a heck of a
> frustrating time trying to troubleshoot a brake problem with his '68
> Dodge truck.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.  -  Richard
>

> My problem concerns my ancient 1968 Dodge 3/4 ton Pickup. I have owned
> this truck for 30+ years and it has never given me a problem I could not
> solve, but now I'm out of ideas. Recently (and suddenly) it started
> locking up a wheel when the brakes were applied. Visual observation
> confirmed that it was the right rear wheel. When I say locks up, that's
> exactly what happens. It stops going around right NOW. And leaves a tire
> mark on the pavement where it was and there's a smell of burnt rubber in
> the air. It should be noted that if the brake pedal is feathered very
> lightly, the truck slows down, but even a little normal pedal pressure
> causes lock-up. This is such a simple brake system -- no self adjusters,
> parking brake fully relaxed. All four drums have been off; no broken
> springs or missing attachment parts; the RR wheel cylinder has been
> rebuilt (again). Any ideas ?  -  Bernie

If it was that sudden I suspect a problem in the line to the left side.
Sounds like the right side is getting all of the fluid and the left is
getting none (or very little)

Could be a small chunk of rubber line from the flex line came free and
blocked it at the T or down in the line at a bend or bracket.

I would open the bleeder (if possible) or open the wheel cylinder and
check the flow to the left side. IF it turns out to be blocked I would
pull the line, run a piece of wire (MIG wire or fence wire would work)
through it and see if you can determine what the blockage was.

--
Steve W.