[AT] OT - How a steam locomotive gets built in 1935

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 19 07:03:36 PST 2012

Oh I know they do Richard.  I had a guy working for me about 6 years ago
that I didn't want to begin with but we were having trouble getting help
that knew how to do the work.  He came to work one day and said he got metal
in his eye.  The foreman, who drove him to work that day, called me
off to the side and told me he got that metal in his eye at home the night
before working on his car but he had to go to the doctor and didn't have
any money or insurance so we took him and paid the bill.  Later on in the
job, before we could lay him off and get rid of him, he told the foreman
he was going to pretend to hurt his back and sue us.  He did.  He did it in
front of me.  Four of us were picking up a sand blast pot to load it in a
trailer,
he didn't even put any effort to it, I had all the load on that end of the
pot.  He stopped and claimed he hurt his back.  I laughed at him because I
knew
he was lying.  He worked the rest of the week and the rest of the job but
after the job was over he tried to sue us for the eye injury and the back
injury.
Workman's comp turned him down on the eye but he hired a lawyer, a guy I
know, to defend him on the back.  The insurance companies won't fight a
claim like that.  They figure up what it will cost to go to court and offer
just under that as a settlement.  Like you said, the lawyers won.  Our
insurance
costs went up.

Charlie