[AT] small engines

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Nov 14 18:54:42 PST 2012

We discussed small engines last week.    I am now trying to figure out
what happened to a nearly new briggs & stratton engine on a diaphram
suction pump that I use when I have to repair a water line.  The fuel
was cut off and run out.  There was very little fuel in the tank.   I
needed it today and I filled the tank with fuel and  could not start
it.  I dropped the fuel bowl on the carb and found it full of white
powder.   The float was packed with white powder.  In addition the fuel
tank was half full of water.   I use the premium gas in all my small
engines.  I cannot figure out where the water got into the fuel tank,
and also what happened to the carburetor.  It is so corroded, that half
of the aluminum is gone. I used it only 4 or 5 months ago.    What can I
do to prevent this?   also where can I get a cheap carb.  Briggs wants
about $50 for one.  These days that is probably cheap.
Cecil in OKla