[AT] B&S engine oil

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Nov 11 04:34:48 PST 2012

Thanks Ralph,  Good article.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Goff
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:31 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] B&S engine oil

On 11/10/2012 5:31 PM, charlie hill wrote:
> I don't understand the argument at all.  I thought the purpose of
> multi-vis
> oil was to maintain it's viscosity better over the entire heat range
> rather
> than be
> to thick when it's cold or to thin when it's hot.
>
> There was an argument going on around here where a lot of guys were saying
> some change in the oil manufacturing recently related to environmental
> issues
> was causing premature engine wear.
Probably referring to ZDDP. I was just reading an article about it a few
days ago.
http://classiccars.about.com/od/maintenancetips/a/Zddp-Debunking-The-Urban-Legend-This-Motor-Oil-Additive.htm
It seems that the new oils lacking this ZDDP will cause accelerated wear
on older engines especially during break in period.
On the single grade oil recommendation, I can't say why but my 90 series
Case tractor has that same warning about using only single grade oils. I
have stuck to that rule for over 7000 hours in that tractor although no
doubt there are some that run multi grade oils without a problem. I just
don't know but prefer to play it safe and follow manufacturers
recommendations.

Ralph in Sask.