[AT] OT '68 Dodge truck brake problem

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 8 07:41:36 PST 2012

> If it is a 1968 Model and the brake hoses have never been changed, the
> hoses are nearly 45 years old. Rubber deteriorates.  I would change all
> the brake hoses.   Years ago I stopped having brake problems when I
> replaced the hoses on any brake job on a vehicle that was 20 yrs or
> older.   I worked in a shop with a very good and experienced mechanic.
> When he did a brake job he changed the hoses if the vehicle was over 5
> years old!!!!!   He said the life of the rubber was 5 years.   I
> remember the deal about firestone tires that the rubber was only good
> for 6 years exposure to the air.

I guess I have been lucky. I have some Firestone, and Goodyear tires on
implements and machinery that are decades old and still holding air. I
first replaced the rubber brake lines on my 81 GM pickup when they were
just over 25 years old. As stated previously they had collapsed
internally and were acting as a check valve keeping the pressure in the
front calipers so the brakes would not release. Not leaking or grabbing
though. . I can only hope the replacements last as long as the originals.

Ralph in Sask.