[AT] Raised bed gardening - or not...

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed May 23 05:10:26 PDT 2012

As a farmer of clay soil and having had my gardens in clay for years, I echo
David's comments that clay soil needs to be worked at the right conditions.
Clay can actually be the most productive soil type as the small soil
particles there is the largest opportunity for water storage and nutrient
availability.
     The key is to use your fingers - if the moisture content allows your
fingers to break the soil apart without them getting sticky, then it is time
to work the soil. Also, like all soil types clay soils NEED organic material
added to maintain tilth and replenish the soil nutrient reserves.
     So, whether you use raised beds or not - as a commercial vegetable
farmer nearly all of our land is listed into beds to facilitate harvest,
planting, weed control and drainage - pay attention to the soil and work it
at the right time and you will be happier!
             Grant Brians
             Hollister,California vegetable, fruit and nuts farmer