[AT] Shop question

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue May 8 12:02:00 PDT 2012

Len Rugen wrote:
> I need to run a 2" conduit LB box thru a metal shop wall.  How should I
> seal around that to keep water & bugs out?  Just silicone the back of
> the LB to the metal?  The conduit will run down and I'll use straps and
> roofing screws to attach that.  It won't be under an eave, so could get
> some direct rain.
>
> Thanks.

Smooth metal or corrugated?
Smooth I would get some thin stick on weatherstrip. Place it all around
the back of the box. Attach the box using a backer board to make sure
the metal/box don't shift around. Then once it's attached use some
roofing cement or something like Cool Seal coating to seal around it.
That way the metal and box expansion rates won't just peel the coating off.

If it's corrugate do the same thing BUT use some of the low expanding
soft foam sealer to seal it. Let that cure and paint some coating over
it so the constant exposure doesn't degrade the foam.

--
Steve W.