[AT] My memory of a Cat Dozer

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 10:11:36 PDT 2012

Folks,

I'm in my later 60's now, but I used to be young.

In Summer 1963, I was on a US carrier as a Midshipman in Navy ROTC.
We were in the Caribbean and had anchored out at Quantanimo Bay,
Cuba.  The ship was there for its periodic operational evaluations.
As part of our visit, we went to the main gate used by civilians to
come and go at the base.  There was a guard hut on each side of the
fence, and folks with mean looking guns, and in the middle a six inch
white line on the pavement.  The Cuban side of the fence had been
cleared down to the dirt for some hundred yards or more all along the
perimeter of the base.  It was explained to us that if any Cubans
tried to flee into the base, the guards would have a good shot at them.

In the middle of the open space sat a couple of bright yellow
Caterpillar bulldozers.  We heard that some time before, the US had a
program of aid to the Cubans and the Cats were part of our effort to
bring some modern machines to the country.  Now they were being used
to enforce the very strict "no-cross" boundary.

Roy
USN, retired.

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net