[AT] Ford 5000 Hydraulic lift cylinder

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed May 2 02:45:35 PDT 2012

Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> I would do that, but there is only 3/16 in. metal from the threads to
> one side of the mounting boss.  There is a control valve bore behind it
> 1/2 in deep.  It is an oddball thread, and the sleeve that threads into
> it is expensive.  There is not a lot of room to do much and the top of
> the mounting boss must be within 0.010 of what is was before to work
> right....
>
> Really just a very poor design.  And these guys did not have Autocad to
> blame the stupidity on!!!
>
> Cecil in Okla

Sounds like it would be a challenge. Could still be done though. I have
welded up cylinder heads and blocks with similar tolerances.
Not fun but it could be done. Probably best to use a TIG. Might need to
cut the metal back then weld it up and machine it back, sort of the way
you would do a crankshaft.

--
Steve W.