[AT] Chain saw sharpening

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Mar 31 23:05:36 PDT 2012

Dick Day wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I can get the chain sharpened locally for $18.  I've seen manual file
> sets that mount on the bar and allow you to sharpen the chain. I've
> also seen electric, both 12-volt and 110.   The reviews I've read
> about the electric ones are quick to point out that the cheap ones
> don't last. I cannot justify $150 and up for a decent one, so I
> figured I would try my hand at manual sharpening.
>
> I have an 18" electric Worx chain saw and love it.  The specifics of
> the chain are gauge=.05  length=18"  links=63  pitch=3/8"
>
> Can anyone suggest what I should get to sharpen the chain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dick Day

Dick I have one of the bar mounted units that has been in use for a LONG
time. Mine came from Zip-Penn. Works great for touch up or complete
resharpening. You clamp it on, set the depth of cut and angles. Then you
pull the chain tight against the stops and start filing.
When you finish one side you just flip the file to the other angle and
do them. Takes maybe 10 minutes the first time.

For the between tanks tough ups I have a simple file guide. With it you
just count the strokes per tooth. Good for used chain but doesn't work
real well to sharpen a real dull one. The bar mount works good for that.
I don't like electrics unless they use a diamond cutter. Stone types
mean you need to keep adjusting for wear of the stone. I have one that
came from a Foley Belsaw course. It uses a large diamond wheel and water
cooling with a slow speed to keep the teeth temper.

--
Steve W.