[AT] Chain saw sharpening

Jason dejoodster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:37:32 PDT 2012

It's similar to a point. The one you linked to is more fixed in terms of how
it guides the file.

The one I linked to is more of a visual guide for the angle. Basically it's
a round file with an adaptor to control the depth with guidelines to keep
the angle. It also has a separate guage and flat file for filing down the
rakers when you need to(not often).

The one you linked to might be more precise, but the one I linked to would
probably be quicker because it's easier to position the file in the right
place on the cutter.

Anyway you probably can't go too far wrong with either, because I'd just
hand-file for touch ups to keep them sharp. You'll still need to have them
professionally sharpened sometimes to bring it back into spec entirely.

FWIW, I grew up filing saw chain just with a plain round rile and found a
touch to let the file follow the angle of the cutter. Worked for me and my
dad.

Jason DeJoode
Eagan, MN