[AT] Chain saw sharpening

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Mar 31 20:09:40 PDT 2012

I've never understood why anyone would pay to have their saw sharpened.   Your
saw will work much better if you sharpen after every tank of fuel, and your
body needs that much rest anyway.  Sharpening is east and only takes a short
time.  (I make one excetion to why pay someone: my uncle hit a hidden iron rod
once, and had a professional fix the damage).

Sharpening without any jigs or guides is easy, so long as you keep the saw
sharp.   Everytime you fill the tank you sharpen the blade.  You can feel the
correct angle by just duplicating the angles that are already there, then
lightly push the file across the teeth at that angle.  The only other trick is
there are two sides.   Sharpen all the teeth on one side at that angle, then
turn the saw around and sharpen the other side - it will be the same angle,
but the opposite direction.

Buy a few files of the right size for your chain, go slow and you are set.
After a file has been used to sharpen about 6 times throw it away, they go
dull, and are too cheap to think about using every last bit.  Don't forget
that you need to buy a handle separatly (they are cheap)

The gizmos might be useful for when you have let a saw go so long that a touch
up won't work, but you shouldn't do that. By the time you can get them setup I
will be done sharpening.  Or if I wait until you are setup I will finish only
seconds after you do - and then you need to pull that system off the saw...
(when you hit a rod like my uncle did: that is a twice in a lifetime event so
paying a professional to fix it is a better deal)