[AT] Electronic tach for Case?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Mar 29 06:23:46 PDT 2012

The old Prestolite generator in my Case 430CK is marginal, and my local
auto electric guy says that he may not be able to get repair parts for
it. I would happily change the system over to an alternator, but there
is one small issue: the mechanical tachometer is driven off the back of
the generator using a little gearbox, and I hate to lose the ability to
read engine speed. So my question is: does anyone have a source of an
electronic tach that reads in the 0-2000 rpm range. I can easily find
unit that read 0-6000, but that really isn't much use in a tractor.

I have seen ads for alternators with tach drives, but they are a lot
more money than I am willing to spend (and there is no assurance that it
would match up to the Case drive cable) - I usually just buy a rebuilt
small alternator from the local auto parts store.

Mike