[AT] Culverts

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:06:17 PDT 2012

Oh I don't have to try it Larry.  I have a dust collector that I use
occasionally to put negative air on a large confined space.  It has a 36"
diameter centrifugal blower driven by a 5 HP electric motor.
It is salvaged from an industrial application and the inlet pipe to the "bag
house" started out life being 12" dia.   I modified it down to 6".   When we
need it I locate it as close as possible to the job site and use 6"
corrugated plastic drain pipe to duct the air from the containment to the
bag house.   The first time I ever ran the thing I'm surprised the police
didn't come.   Every dog in Carteret County had to be howling and running
for cover.   I finally figured out that I could restrict the inlet of the
drain pipe down to about half it's diameter and it would hush down to
acceptable levels.  Restricting the end of the pipe is not hard.  All you
have to do is put something against it.  You can hold the pipe horizontal,
place a 4' long piece of 2 x 4 over the end and the air flow will hold it
there until you shut the power off.