[Farmall] low ash oil

farmallgray at aol.com farmallgray at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 10:02:31 PDT 2012

We used to sell a lot of it at the dealerships. The company that makes IH and now Case-IH lubricants puts them through very
tough testing that far exceeds API requirements. I used it when I worked at the dealerships and could get it at a discount. But now I mostly use NAPA detergent 30. I haven't researched it a whole lot yet but something to think about may be zinc content. Modern cars use roller cams and don't need the zinc (which damages catylitic converters) but our older stuff with flat tappet cams need some zinc to prevent cam wear. In my diesels I use a zinc additive, but I'm a little afraid to in the air cooled Kohlers. Kohler service manuals don't recommend any oil additives because many of them aren't formulated for the high heat of an air cooled engine. They say these additives can break down and actually lead to catastrophic engine failure.

Todd Markle

Spring Mills, Pa.