[AT] engine tach

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Wed Mar 21 17:38:07 PDT 2012

The Tiny-Tach is a very simple device.  It has no switches or modifications available at all.  When the engine is not running, the display shows the total hours it has been running -- like an odometer.  You cannot reset it for any reason.  When the engine is running, it shows the engine speed, and is non-switchable.  So it shows a number based on how often the spark plug fires.  Since the "right" nidek was not available at the time I bought mine, it shows that the engine is running at half speed.  THAT kind of math is still possible with this fuzzy brain, so I simply double the displayed engine speed in my head.  Bottom line: I bought the model for engines where the spark plug fires on every revolution of the crank shaft, instead of the one for more sophisticated engines where the plug only fires on the compression stroke.  I figured that when the non-replaceable battery goes dead, then I will buy the right model for use with my 1614.  It's been running for 14 or 15 years at this point!

You can't even make a blanket statement about which brands of engines use one model of Tiny-Tach versus the other -- K-series Kohler engines are different from the KT-series, and they are different from the Magnum series, and those are different from the Command series, etc.

Larry