[AT] Belts?

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sat Jun 30 22:24:03 PDT 2012

I agree, this works well.  I get the belt running with the clutch disengaged
on the driven tractor.  Then I'm at the tractor I'm trying to start as I
ease the clutch in carefully so as not to throw the belt.  You might throw
it a couple of times before you get the feel of it.

On the farm in the 50's the most reliable tractor to start in cold weather
was the Deere M.  But it was too small, especially on frozen ground, to pull
one of the bigger tractors to start it to get some work done.  Many times it
provided the belt power to get the G started so we could grind feed or pull
a wagon out to feed the cattle.

One especially miserable cold day nothing would start.  An old F30 sat in
the crib driveway, still had summer oil in it and hadn't been run for
months.  Dad stood on the crank and it barely would turn over.  But the damn
thing started right up.

Maybe watch eBay for a belt.  I've sold several of them on eBay, a good one
is worth messing with although shipping is increasingly pinching online
sales.  I did just check eBay and didn't find anything.  I see them sell at
farm auctions and farm equipment consignment sales pretty regularly.  Price
is all over the map, it takes 2 bidders to make an auction.

Bill Brueck
   Pine Island, MN USA