[AT] OT Hydrocarbon Refrigerant

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 28 12:18:41 PDT 2012

On 6/28/2012 6:10 AM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> OK, I know this is off topic, but if I donh't have A/C in the tractors
> and trucks this summer, I won't be able to drive these antique tractors.
>
> I also have heard all the arguments about  HC refrigerants being unsafe
> and all that other crap.
I have been using a hydrocarbon based refrigerant in my 32 year old
tractor for at least ten years now with no problems, leaks or refills
necessary, and plenty of cool air. It was likely R12 originally but I
don't recall it being a big deal or expense to change over to this
propane based refrigerant. Now if CRS hadn't set in today I could tell
you the name of it. I will try to remember to look at the label on the
tractor this afternoon. I would not hesitate to use it in any ac system.
We have been using the red tek refill cans on the combine ac system for
several years now. Its a 1988 model IH and plenty cool enough for me.

Ralph in Sask.