[AT] Trying to come up with a fair price for an 8n

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jun 10 08:32:54 PDT 2012

Al,  discussing the "value" of an 8N reminds me of a conversation I had with
a lady at an "antique" shop on Friday.  I noticed an old 1 row, horse drawn
cole planter sitting out front.  It was a bit rusty but both the seed and
fertilizer hoppers were both still solid and it still had remnants of the
cole logos on
it.  I went in and asked her what she wanted for it.  She said she paid $50
for it.  I said "well you obviously think it's worth more as a yard ornament
than I think it's worth as a planter".  I'm not even sure she knew what it
was but she was surprised that I thought I could make it work so she
obviously didn't base her buying decision on use value.   My point is that
the functional worth of something and what some one will pay to look at it
are not always connected in any way.

Charlie