[Farmall] 1949 H Exhaust Pipe

Tim Savelle tim.savelle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:07:08 PDT 2012

Got a problem.  The exhaust pipe on my 1949H broke lose from the manifold
recently when I hit a bump.  The pipe is 2" black iron pipe, and a previous
owner had apparently not welded it very good to the manifold.  Someone in
my tractor club suggested grinding down the end of the pipe until it fits
inside the manifold and drive it in place.  I did that, but afraid of
breaking the manifold driving it in I decided to seat it good and try to
seal it.  I've tried two different compounds:  a muffler sealer from a
parts store and JB Weld.  Neither held up under the heat.  I don't think a
welder is going to be willing to try to weld or braze it back into place
because of the proximity to the gas tank and other meltable things, and I
would prefer not to take off the manifold nor the gas tank due to the time
involved.  Does anyone know of a sealing compound of some sort that will
stand up to the heat at the intersection of the exhaust pipe and manifold?
 Guess I'm looking for a quick, easy fix here if one can be found to
prevent extended down time for repairs.  Thanks a bunch, Tim