[AT] Off Topic Goulds piston pump

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:57:47 PDT 2012

That's right Richard,  It will pump in either rotation but will not properly
oil it's self in the wrong direction. That is what is wrong with the one I
have.
Someone ran it (not me) in the wrong direction.  I bought this one for parts
years ago in case I needed it to repair the one over at our farm.  My mom
had a problem with our old pump and without consulting me had a plumber
replace the old pump and haul it off.  By the time I found out about it the
pump was long gone.  Jump forward a decade or two.  I realized the old parts
pump was still at the farm and decided to try and repair/restore it.
The connecting rod is missing and the offset journal that the rod rides on
is worn down.  It can be fixed but I need a rod or need enough information
about it to fabricate my own.  I think if I get real lucky I can cut down a
rod from an engine to fit.   I'd love to see a picture of the connecting rod
and have some measurements from it but I'm going to stop short of asking you
to pull your pump apart to get it.  Hopefully the museum in NY can help me
or I'll eventually find another pump.

It's a little more than just a restoration project for me.  I feel the need
to have a pump that will work when I don't have electricity such as after a
hurricane or
ice storm.  That old Goulds can be belted up to a gasoline motor or
whatever.

Thanks for the help.

Charlie