[AJD] John Deere Model A problem

Bill Salisbury salisburyw at comcast.net
Sun Jun 3 12:22:56 PDT 2012

HI Tyler,

Is this black soot a constant thing or is it only happening right after the
start?  Are you still getting that soot when the tractor is moving and under
load?  If that is the case, then it sounds to me as though the mixture is
too rich and that the power adjustment could be leaned down a bit.  Another
potential problem is that your carburetor may have too high a fuel level in
it.  This could be caused by a sticking needle and seat, or could be that
your float has a hole or two in it which is allowing fuel to get into the
float, making it too heavy.  Lots of possibilities here.  Work through these
one at a time, and you will undoubtedly uncover the cause.

Bill Salisbury