[AT] Remembering the basics

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Jun 2 13:19:42 PDT 2012

Last weekend I thought I might get the Super M out and take it down to the
corner gas station to refill my two-gallon lawnmower gas can, which is the
Super M's only official productive work assignment.  Not exactly a strenuous
workout, but creativity is required when living in the suburbs.  The battery
had been a little low last time I'd started the tractor, which was last
October or November or something, so I added some distilled water and put
the charger on it.  But then the day got late and I got busy with other
things, and never did get the tractor out.

So today was the day.  Nice warm sunny afternoon, so after I finished mowing
the lawn I bungee-corded the gas can onto the U-shaped drawbar of the
tractor, where it fits snugly between the drawbar support and the PTO cover.
I was confident the tractor would start, so I rolled it by hand out of the
garage, put the muffler on, and climbed up on the seat.  Clutch in, switch
on, just a touch of throttle, rattle the gearshift to make sure it's in
neutral, pull the starter rod... and listened to it crank without so much as
a pop.  Cycled the ignition switch off and then on again and then re-tried
the starter, and then again, and each time it had all kinds of cranking
speed but just no fire at all.  What the heck?  Something wrong with the
ignition circuit, I thought, while remembering Farmer's old mantra of "check
the grounds, check the grounds, check the grounds."

Then, of course, it hit me:  When I put the tractor away last fall, I'd
closed the fuel valve and let the tractor run until it used up all the gas
in the carburetor and fuel line, and today I'd forgotten to re-open the
valve.  I furtively looked around to see if any of the neighbors had been
watching me test the starter motor, then hopped down, opened the fuel valve,
and tried again.  Works *much* better with that valve open.  :)

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net